Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Point and Counterpoint

The bitterness and frustration weigh heavily

Bringing me to the point of lethargy.

I long for the fulfillment of music

But it does not grow within.

It will not even wither and die.

It only lies dormant, waiting.

Waiting to be born –

For a birth that will never come.


I feel the warmth of encircling arms,

The strength of someone on which to lean.

Yet there is only emptiness.

The times of sharing are past.

I stand alone.

I curse the very strength for which I am admired.

I am tired.

I want to lie down and rest.


The face returns – ever turning, changing.

It will not settle for there is no foundation

Or it is buried too deeply to be found.

The truth does not set me free;

It binds me deeper to myself.

More layers are added and I sink deeper.

The sun shines only on the outside;

Even the moon is a dark one.

Laughter fills empty space

And always before me is that taunting face.


Words fall on empty ears.

There is no power to express

The overwhelming spiraling depth –

The agony without the ecstasy.

But tomorrow there will be the smiles,

The idle chatter of an over-full mind.

And no one will ever really know

The void they cover.

I will not let them see.

A portion perhaps, but never the whole.

Never! It is not acceptable.


My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Because I have shut the door

And only I possess the key.


Written by Sharon, Age 41