Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Methods My Abusive Partner Used to Control Me

Methods My Abusive Partner Used to Control Me

Bond Formation

1. requesting advice

2. bringing up topics that he thought were of mutual interest

3. claiming I was his best friend

4. claiming that we were meant to be together (soul mates)

5. claiming he knew me better than anybody else in the world

6. insisting I share his hobbies and pastimes

7. having a temper tantrum whenever I expressed opinions that differed from his

8. mentioning problems that caused me anxiety and then offering to take care of those problems

9. imitating my speech pattern in order to form an unconscious bond with me (using the exact same words and phrases that I said to him when I tried to calm him)

10. claiming that he could not control his anger and only I could make him better

11. reminiscing on the good times

12. claiming that I couldn’t live without him

13. claiming that he couldn’t live without me

14. insisting that everything I have is due to him

15. claiming my life was miserable before he came into it

16. reassuring me that I have nothing to fear from him

17. making his mother’s welfare my obligation

18. asking me to pray for him

19. mentioning gifts I’ve given him in the past

20. trying to convince me after I left him that his entire world view has changed and is now aligned with my world view

Isolation

21. threatening to sell our house and have us move to a new city

22. insulting my family

23. refusing invitations from my family

24. demanding that I treat his family better than my own

25. complaining about my friends

26. antagonizing my friends

27. sabotaging the time I spent with my friends (for example, calling me and telling me to come home early or interrupting phone conversations I was having with my friends)

28. dictating which friends I could speak with and which friends I had to drop

29. claiming that he was the only person who loved me (my friends and family did not)

Utilization of Fear of Abandonment

30. threatening me with divorce

31. withholding affection

32. giving me the silent treatment

33. mentioning that he is leaving the country on vacation soon and will be far out of reach

Incitement of Guilt and/or Pity

34. describing difficult periods in his childhood in order to make me sympathize with him

35. making a big deal out of every physical discomfort he had

36. claiming that others don’t understand him

37. claiming that others were out to get him

38. asserting that I didn’t care what happened to him

39. bemoaning the fact that I no longer loved him

40. claiming that he moved to Texas just to make me happy

41. complaining that I kept a picture of my dog on my desk but not a picture of him

42. saying that I purposefully was trying to upset him every time we had an argument

43. alleging that it was my idea to buy our house, thus it was my fault whenever anything (such as plumbing problems or peeling paint) happened to it

44. threatening to quit his job and then going into a rage and claiming that I wanted to work him to death when I asked him not to quit before he found a new job

45. blaming me for putting a curse on him if something bad happened to him

46. comparing the food I put on his plate with the food I put on my plate and then complaining if he did not get the best cuts of meat, largest serving, etc.

47. complaining about the cleanliness, price, and/or nutritious value of restaurant food whenever we went out to eat (in order to make me feel bad about not cooking)

48. suggesting that I had poisoned him if he got an upset stomach

49. threatening to harm or kill himself

50. begging me for mercy during the divorce

51. implying that he may die soon

52. trying to make me feel guilty for hurting him by getting a divorce

53. asserting that I am hurting the dog by keeping the dog away from him

54. accusing me of breaching an agreement he said we had made when I petitioned for a divorce

Distortion of Reality and Disruption of Mental Balance

55. swinging rapidly from one mood to another so that I would be unsure of exactly how to act with him

56. continual changing “the rules” so I could never completely adapt to them

57. countering statements I’ve made

58. claiming that I do not remember events correctly

59. repeating over and over lies he wants me to believe

60. pretending that an instance of abuse had not actually occurred

61. reframing an instance of abuse to make it seem like he was the one being abused

62. refusing to apologize for his abusive behavior

63. blaming me for his abusive behavior

64. refusing to discuss any injuries he might have inflicted on me

65. trivializing my feelings

66. making promises that would always be broken

67. refusing to let me have quiet time

68. acting charming and friendly in front of others

69. claiming that he treated me like a princess

70. forbidding me from telling his friends that I worked (he wanted me to pretend to be a house wife, thus implying that he earned all of our money)

71. making up elaborate lies about his life and demanding that I verify these lies to others

72. attempting to force me to change my name

73. sabotaging my work, special events I wanted to attend, vacations, etc.

74. constantly promising me vacations, trips to the spa, etc., that never actually happened

75. claiming that he is now a completely different person in order to lure me back into a relationship with him

76. claiming that I am still his wife even after we got a divorce

77. excusing/discounting his previous behavior

78. claiming Satan is to blame for his previous behavior

79. using gentle humor in regards the current state of our relationship (in an attempt to diminish the seriousness of our divorce)

Humiliation/Belittlement/ Character Attacks

80. embarrassing me in front of my friends and family

81. threatening to tell others some of my secrets

82. spitting on me

83. demeaning me in public

84. accusing me of lying

85. accusing me of stealing

86. mocking me if I made an error or didn’t know something

87. becoming enraged if I told him I made a mistake with my job

88. belittling my taste in art, music, etc.

89. comparing my housekeeping skills unfavorably to his mother’s

90. calling me foul names

91. using critical adjectives to describe me (lazy, stupid, slow, hard-hearted, difficult, useless, stubborn, dirty, etc.)

92. repeatedly telling me that I was sick and/or there was something wrong with me

Strategically-Timed Affection/Flattery/Remorse

93. claiming to love me

94. pretending that he was grateful to me

95. complimenting me

96. calling me by affectionate nicknames

97. using flattering adjectives to describe me (perfect, beautiful, smart, the best, etc.)

98. bribing me (giving me small gifts, promising other gifts, etc.) in order to persuade me to do something I was feeling reluctant about

99. sending me flowers and doing other romantic gestures after particularly violent outbursts or whenever he sensed he had pushed me too far into depression

100. expressing concern for my wellbeing

101. holding me blameless for my actions during the divorce

102. reassuring me that he knows I’m a good person

103. promising me all his money and property if he dies

104. reassuring me of his family’s unceasing love

105. apologizing for what he’s done

106. offering to undergo any type of punishment I see fit

107. admitting he made mistakes before

108. addressing me as though he was a respectful supplicant

Assertion of Male Privilege

109. claiming he was superior to me and had rights over me because he was a male

110. reminding me of my duties as a wife

111. demanding I give him respect and follow his orders

112. telling me that I did not have a right to tell him “no”

113. denying me the right to defend myself against his violence

114. refusing to allow me to decline sex

115. demanding that I stop using birth control and become pregnant

116. constantly denigrating other women and using their behavior as a reason not to like or trust women

117. joking about getting a mistress because he claimed men could not be satisfied with just one woman

118. insisting that, as a woman, I should be morally “better” than him (in other words, I should act like a “good girl” while he gets to act like a playboy)

Forced Servitude

119. demanding that I cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner for him every day

120. demanding that I keep track of all of his belongings and papers at all times

121. demanding that I examine and treat all of his cuts, bruises, insect bites, zits, joint aches, colds, etc. (he was a hypochondriac)

122. demanding that I take care of *everything* (broken appliances, plumbing problems, car accidents that he caused, shopping for his clothing, etc., etc., etc.)

123. pressuring me to start a business for him

124. coercing me to run his business for him

125. criticizing how I was running his business

Jealousy

126. refusing to allow me to express admiration in other males

127. refusing to allow me to shake hands with or smile at other males

128. repeatedly interrogating me on my past life (especially my past boyfriends)

129. becoming upset when my grandfather would kiss me on the cheek

130. becoming enraged if he thought I was dressing provocatively

Control of Resources

131. claiming that my dog was actually his dog

132. stating that everything we owned was his, not mine

133. complaining about the fact that some of our property had my name on the title

134. scrutinizing our financial records every day in order to control my spending

135. spending my money on his family and toys (motorcycles, jet skis, etc.)

136. giving his mother my ATM card to use when she needed money

137. making large purchases without consulting me

Regulation of Behavior

138. dictating how I dressed

139. criticizing how I walked, talked, breathed, etc.

140. trying to control what words I used

141. demanding that I ask permission to leave the house

142. choosing which car I was allowed to take and where I was allowed to go

143. making me account for all the time I spent out of the house

144. interrogating me about every conversation I had with other people

145. spying on me (read my emails, opened my mail, listened in on some of my phone conversations)

146. controlling which foods I was allowed to cook/eat

147. filling my time with a daily list of chores

148. complaining about how I completed the chores

149. throwing a temper tantrum if I couldn’t complete all of the chores

150. forcing me to convert to his religion

151. rebuking me for watching scenes in romantic movies in which characters kiss and embrace

152. sometimes supervising my showers to make sure I washed my body correctly

153. checking the length of my nails weekly to make sure they were trimmed to his liking

154. dictating how I had my hair styled and cut

155. monitoring how much time I took to complete tasks

156. repeatedly testing me by suggesting we break one of his rules so that he could see how I would respond

157. insisting that he sleep with his body draped over mine

158. punching or yelling at me if I moved during the night and woke him up

Intimidation and Terrorization

159. raising his voice

160. using foul language

161. claiming he knew my thoughts before I had even formed them

162. threatening to throw me out of my house

163. destroying property that I valued

164. threatening physical violence

165. engaging in actual physical violence

166. threatening to kill or give away my dog

167. beating my dog

168. threatening to kill me

169. threatening to kill other people

170. reminding me how easily he could get away with murder

171. keeping a loaded gun by the bed

172. killing animals

173. forcing me to help him hurt or kill animals

174. sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night by playing loud music and/or turning on all the lights in the house and starting one of his interrogation sessions (sleep deprivation)

Harassment

175. threatening legal action

176. bombarding me with multiple letters within a short period of time

177. calling the house and hanging up

178. having his friends call in order to talk me out of leaving him

179. repeatedly sending me emails and gifts after I have made it clear that I no longer wish to communicate with him